The intersection of North Lynn Street, Lee Highway, Custis Trail, and Mount Vernon Trail in Arlington, VA, is known as the Intersection of Doom due to the high number of collisions that occur there between drivers heading towards Key Bridge and pedestrians/cyclists crossing between the east end of the Custis Trail and north end of the Mount Vernon Trail.
This has been a high-profile intersection, and the nickname eventually made its way out of cyclist circles into use by the general population.
Originally referred to as "Crossing of Doom," the name "Intersection of Doom" stuck with the community and has been used ever since.
Intersection of Doom can be found here: https://goo.gl/maps/7jfpKc86gfo
- (use of "Crossing of Doom") -- WARNING -- Cops writing tickets on the W&OD in Falls Church http://bikearlingtonforum.com/showthread.php?p=16216#post16216
- (first use of "Intersection of Doom") Missed connection http://bikearlingtonforum.com/showthread.php?p=30580#post30580
- "No-Turn-On-Red Signal Installed at 'Intersection of Doom'" - ARLNow https://www.arlnow.com/2015/02/06/no-turn-on-red-signal-installed-at-intersection-of-doom/
- "Arlington's new vision for Rosslyn doesn't address the 'intersection of doom'" - Greater Greater Washington http://greatergreaterwashington.org/post/22084/arlingtons-new-vision-for-rosslyn-doesnt-address-the-intersection-of-doom/
- "Cyclist Hit By Car, Issued Ticket in Rosslyn" - ARLNow https://www.arlnow.com/2014/05/07/cyclist-hit-by-car-issued-ticket-in-rosslyn/